As the world continues to change, evolve, and develop, a growing number of people are seeking alternative ways to increase their monthly cash flow, and enjoy more money in their pockets.
This has seen the rise of a number of online and internet endeavors, including online businesses, tuition and teaching, and, of course, the boom of online sales.
Selling clothes online is nothing new, as any fan of eBay will be able to attest. This has always been plagued, however, by complaints about high fees, lack of support from platforms, slow response times, and a host of other issues.
Many sellers also found themselves frustrated by the limitations and obstacles that arose when they were selling higher-end goods.
Poshmark, therefore, has been seen as the solution to these problems, and a viable option for those looking to sell their unwanted clothing online. Keen to make a little cash as you clear out your wardrobe? Then we have the ultimate guide!
What Is Poshmark?
Poshmark is an online retail platform that allows sellers to offload their luxury and high-end goods, and for buyers to grab a bargain.
The idea is that this will allow people to purchase their dream clothes at a lower cost while reducing the amount of waste that is typically sent to landfill as a result of the fashion industry.
Formerly known as a place to purchase high-end handbags and outfits, Poshmark has widened its range in recent months, and buyers can now browse a range of jewelry, homeware, toys, and beauty products, and this list is expanding every day.
Poshmark offers a number of advantages that make it appealing to users, and these include:
Ease of Use
Unlike some online retailers, Poshmark consists of a smartphone app – and that is it! You can take a photo and write a description from the comfort and convenience of your phone.
Lots of Users
Sellers can rest assured that they are playing to a captive audience – there are around 35 million buyers reported to be using the app every single day, increasing the chance that your item will sell.
Support For Sellers
Unlike eBay, you will not be automatically expected to handle and accept returns from buyers. Returns are not permitted for items that do not fit, and Poshmark will moderate any requests for returns that are made, making life harder for potential scammers.
It is also easy to ship your item using the pre-generated shipping label, allowing you to pack the item, slap on a label, and ship it.
Offers Are Encouraged
This is good news for buyers – many items and sellers are happy to accept offers, and this gives you the chance to grab a real bargain!
No Tax Worries
One major perk is that Poshmark will handle all sales tax, leaving you with one less thing to worry about!
As with any platform or online endeavor, there are a number of potential drawbacks, and these include:
Sellers will have to pay 20% fees on all sales over $15, and $2.95 on all sales under $15 – this is quite a hefty mark up.
In order to succeed on Poshmark, you will need to be prepared to stay active and keep your activity levels on the app high by following, sharing, and promoting your items. This can be a little time-consuming.
How To Sell On Poshmark
Despite the downsides, the good news is that it is super easy to get started selling on Poshmark, and there are just a few simple steps to follow:
- If you are purchasing items with the intention of selling them on Poshmark, start by creating an inventory of your “stock”. This should include the amount that you spend on the item, to allow you to sell it for a profit, and will also include all of the information that you need when you have to file taxes.
- Download the “Poshmark” app from the Apple Store or Google Play Store App, and open it on your phone.
- Set up a profile – you will be asked to enter a few basic details to get you started.
- Prep your items – make sure that all the clothes you are selling are clean, unwrinkled, and smell fresh. You should also make sure that there are no holes or damage, that the stitching is intact, and that the buttons or zippers work. Always ask yourself if you would be happy to buy an item before you list it. Remember – you can sell items with flaws or defects, but you need to be super honest about everything in the listing.
- Do your homework – before you list the item, take a look to see the prices that similar items are reaching on the site. If you price too low, you could miss out, but pricing too high means that buyers are likely to go elsewhere.
- Using the camera on your phone, take some pictures of the item that you are trying to sell. Make sure that you are close enough to get all the detail in, and that you are showing the item off in the best possible light. You will be able to add up to twelve photos per item, so make the most of this to show different angles and details, as well as close-up images of any damage or flaws on the item – give your buyer as much information as possible.
- Write a description of the item, including the brand, condition, and anything the buyer needs to know. Descriptions that include the brand and style name tend to rank more highly on search engine optimization, and so increase the chances of a successful sale. Your description should include information about damage and flaws, as well as clear information about the measurements, as returns are not permitted for clothes that do not fit.
With jeans and pants, you should offer measurements for the waist, rise, and inseam, and for tops and jackets, the armpit to armpit, and the shoulder to hem measurements. Dresses should include measurements from armpit to armpit, shoulder to hem, waist, and hips.
- Using the pre-selected categories, choose the category, size, and color boxes that are relevant for your item.
- State the original price of the item, and the price that you are asking for – this helps your buyers to determine whether they are getting a good deal. You can also select the option to offer a discount to anyone who likes your product, known as an “Offer to Liker.” This will usually offer them a minimum 10% discount, plus a shipping discount of either $2.12 or $7.99. Buyers can also send you an offer if they are interested in an item.
- Select the option to List Item
- Wait for questions, offers, or a purchase, and accept or decline any offers that you are happy with
- Once the offer has been accepted and the purchase has been made, print the shipping label.
- Ship or mail your item – one of the advantages of Poshmark is that you can ship via Priority Mail, reducing your stress. Make sure that your package is packed correctly and securely.
- After three days, the product will be automatically marked as received, if the buyer does not confirm this beforehand
- Get paid and enjoy your cash! You will be paid once the product has been received by a customer, and should try to cash out quickly as you are not insured by the FDIC if you are hacked.
How To Handle Challenges
As with any interaction online, you need to be prepared for challenges and knock backs, including bad feedback or requests for returns. Try to separate yourself from the exchange, and respond calmly and fairly – this is not an attack that is aimed at you personally.
See if there is anything you can do to help, accept responsibility if something is your fault, and then simply move on.
Tips For Success
Selling on Poshmark has the potential to net you some serious cash, and our top tips can help you to maximize every sale. Some of the most important things to remember include:
- Know your brands – the more you know about a brand or product, the better you will be able to sell it. This is particularly important for high-end labels – you need to know how to authenticate your items, and how to spot a fake.
- Take time over your listing title – including the brand name to boost your chances of ranking in a premium position on search engines. Remember, it doesn’t matter how great your item is if nobody can find it.
- Take good photos – as a buyer, you want to know everything about the piece you are planning to buy, so make sure you take detailed photos from every angle to maximize your chances of success. For the best results, keep your backgrounds as neutral as possible – this will give your pieces a chance to really pop.
- Write great descriptions – make sure that you include all of the relevant information in the listing, including detailed measurements, colors, brands, and any damage or flaws – this will ensure that your buyer has all the information that they need to make a confident decision, and increases your chances of a successful sale.
- Do your homework – one of the most important things to remember is that there are a lot of sellers on Poshmark, and many will be offering similar, if not identical, products to those that you have. You can, of course, list your products for pretty much any price you desire- but if you are not in line with the competition, your chances of success are slim.
- Offer discounts – keep an eye on who is making offers and purchases, and offer discounts if your buyers are making multiple purchases – this heightens your appeal to the buyer and gives them a chance to save on shipping costs, as well as the cash and time that you save packing and shipping.
Selling on Poshmark can be a great way to clear out your unwanted items from your wardrobe, but it can also net you some serious profit if it is done right. By following our simple tips and tricks, you can maximize your chances of success, and enjoy plenty of cash in exchange for your efforts!